Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Death by treadmill

Home Forums CFE Topics Death by treadmill

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gophilly 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gophilly

So where I am deployed to we do not have the space or ability to run anything over shuttle sprints and even then that is on loose gravel and sand but we got a treadmill.
    I have never run on a treadmill before now and am having difficulty transitioning. Looking for advice.

The main problems are:
    1) boredom, anything over half a mile I get incredibly bored even with music!
    2) running in a straight line and constant speed, I tend to change my pace depending on music and how I am feeling which is difficult finding the right speed. Beyond that I tend to slowly shift left while running until without warning I catch the side rail and either go stumbling and/or falling and sliding off.
    3) there is no moving air where we have the treadmill there isn’t much moving air but there is no where else to put it. Anyways I come into the issue of feeling like I am over heating while running, I have never experienced this running outside like I do on this piece of machinery.

Looking for any tips and advice that can help with these three issues. Appreciate any help or advice.

Ty

JenJ

Are you training for any races or following the SS/3S prescription. Plenty of interval work there – 200s, 400s, 2 min on/1 min off, etc. That should keep you on the treadmill no more than 30 minutes (minus warm up/cool down).

A friend of mine posted is a workout, or a challenge, to do while training for trail ultras. Set the treadmill at the highest incline setting, and see how much ‘vertical feet’ you can cover in 60 minutes. For starters, just see how far you can climb in 15 or 30 minutes if you get bored quickly from being on a treadmill. Walking, or even just moving quickly uphill, is a good attribute for an ultrarunner, and it helps build strong legs. Pace is up to you, as is whether you choose to run or walk or ‘fast hike’. Just make sure you’ve got good posture and aren’t leaning forward at the waist.

I haven’t tried it yet, but will definitely include it from time to time in my ultra training.

Hope this helps, and thank you for your service.
    Jen

gophilly

Appreciate the advice Jen. No races ahead, I follow the 3 sport but do run, bike, row/ruck for the three sports. I am in the army so I just like following the endurance with my regular work outs.

I have no issues with the intervals, the x 800 repeats I usually am fine with. I start to get bored around then. While running trails I usually have no issues at all, also running on a circle track doesn’t bother me much.

Rowing and cycling I am fine, for some reason running is what kills me on the treadmills only.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.