Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Olympic distance nutrition

Home Forums Nutrition What to Eat While Training and Competing. Olympic distance nutrition

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jonyoon 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Schactler

Hey im doing the USAT collegiate nationals on saturday. i have a very good diet, i am a paleo zone w/ dairy 17 blocks, 4x fat carb blocks allocated after wods etc. Anyways i know i could surf the cf.com forums looking for this topic but i hate the search tool on the forums there. What should i eat during the race? im going for under 2:10 but its supposed to be really windy so well see. i plan on eating some turkey, an apple and fish oil for breakfast ~5:30am race starts at 8:30. i used 2 gu packets during last years races on a similar diet and they worked ok, i felt a surge about 5 min after i had the gu at mile 12 on the bike but it was gone about 5 miles later. whadya guys think?

bazep

I’d be interested to understand the answer to this also. Not at the same level as you (aiming for sub 2.30 at London tri) but have a similar plan.

When do you take your gels? as sooon as you get on the wheels?

BTW – this might be worth a look http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39157

mwunderle

Hey guys.

Sorry I didn’t post on this earlier, but I just noticed it. Here’s the deal with Olympic nutrition. Fully loaded (i.e. a good series of meals from the day before and about a 3ish block serving of PRO, CHO and FAT 3 hrs before the race) your "tank" has about 2000 calories of available glycogen. With a race time of 2-2:45 and depending on the individual, you are right on the edge of bonking with 2000 cals on board. Also of note, in an Olympic distance efffort (virtually the new "sprint" distance), you are looking at running your engine at about 85-90% of max effort or RPE. This is important as your stomach cannot process too much complexity as most of your available blood supply is being drawn to your muscles. So, simple carbs/sugars is the answer in these conditions.

As noted earlier, you are right on the edge of needing incrmental cals, so I would target no more than 1-2 gels (100-200 calories total) in my plan. As for timing, you should plan to hit your first gel in the first 15 mins of the bike and then another one about 10-15 mins before you are off the bike. Additionally, you should be targeting at least 16-20 oz of water per hour during the race.

I think this information is late, but hopefully of some value. Thanks!

Max
    http://www.gotrimax.com

bazep

Ok – so had my race last weekend – it didn’t quite work out. I went the 2 gel route (honet stingers as I thought they’d be closest to what i eat normally). Not sure if it was a result of the less than clean water (OW swim) I managed to ingest or the gels but I could not get them to settle in my stomach so had major energy problems and cramps on the run so missed my target (by 9 mins).

Onwards an upwards though – thinking I will need a new strategy for next season as I go up to HIM – looking at more drinks based stuff with normal fruit as will probably take more time to refuel.

CamAchilles

Sorry to bring up an old post, but it answered my questions about calories, but I’m still curious about electrolytes during an Olympic distance tri. Is it necessary in a race of this length to take in additional electrolytes other than what would be in a gel or sports drink?

jonyoon

"CamAchilles" wrote: Sorry to bring up an old post, but it answered my questions about calories, but I’m still curious about electrolytes during an Olympic distance tri. Is it necessary in a race of this length to take in additional electrolytes other than what would be in a gel or sports drink?

All depends on how big you are, how much you sweat (more heat = more sweat), and whether you consume a high amount of sodium in your diet already. For my beanpole friends, they’re good with just Gatorade. For me, I have to stick with S!Caps since I’m heavier than them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.