Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Swimming CFE style

Home Forums CFE Topics Swimming CFE style

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kaitlin 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

charlie6460

I have a question/ issue with the swimming programming with the CFE WOD’s. I recently discovered CF & CFE and love it. The running workouts are fairly straight forward to follow. I have not done a bike workout, but they seem manageable. A trainer or spin bike may be appropriate for those. Anyways, most of the interval swim workouts (like running and biking) are based on time. I have some swimming experience and followed traditional LSD training for triathlons in the past. All of my swim workouts have always been based on distance, especially in the pool. It seems to me that it would be difficult to follow certain prescribed swimming times exactly. For instance, I cannot even imagine how to swim a TABATA in a pool. It seems too difficult to track exactly 20 seconds on 10 seconds off. What is the best method to approach the time intervals in a pool?

RobQ

Charlie,

I would recommend experimenting with your current watch to see if you can hear it go off as you are swimming. If you can, I would look into buying a wristwatch that can do interval alarms and then simply time the 10 seconds on your own. You could possibly set the watch for 20 second intervals, wait for it to go off, then pop up and watch the clock for 10 seconds, and then go after it again. If there is a better way, I’m not really sure. Tabatas in the pool are pretty tough when you’re not used to it. Let me know if this works or if it helped. Good luck!

-Rob

Kaitlin

Buy a Timex Ironman watch you can set the timer for :30 seconds and put it on repeat. Let it run through 1 time then start round 1 when its on the :20 swim until the alarm goes off. The beep lasts for 10 seconds (rest period) then swim for the remaining 20 seconds. It works well and you can hear the beeping while swimming. You can use the timer for some of the other wods and keep track of rest periods on the pace clock when it is not a 1:1 interval. For tempo or TT wods use the timer if it is a time based one, or use the stopwatch if it is a distance based so you can record your time.
    If you are in the middle of a lap when time runs out do the rest period where you are at and start the next work period from where you are at you do not need to be starting from the wall. Starting from the middle of the lane adds something else to the wod since you gotta start kicking pretty hard right off.

jonyoon

You must have one really good Timex Ironman watch. Mine was never loud enough to hear when I was swimming.

Kaitlin

It’s the standard one never had a problem with it nor has anyone I have had use it in the pool. I’ve used it while a masters practice was going on so there was plenty going on at the same time.

charlie6460

I apprecaite the responses, but I’ll admit I was hoping there might be some sort of distance to use for certain times. Ironically I do have a Timex Ironman watch only because I found it on sale a few months back. I’ll have to give it a try, but again I would perfer to use a distance instaed of time for swimming. It just seems to make more sense that way, but I am also a newbie at CFE.

Kaitlin

For tabata’s you could use 1X25 all out :10 rest, or a 25 and a flip and push off. Use your 100 or 50 time to gage about what you should be able to do on some of the timed ones, but also run your watch so if you complete the distance and time isn’t up you can keep going.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.